Each year, students in Fairfax County can participate in the PTA Reflections program. This program offers students a chance to explore and create works of art. All students are encouraged to create their own musical composition and to submit their original piece to their school PTA. The deadline for each school is different so please double check directly with the school. Most deadlines are around the beginning of November.
How It Works
Students begin working on creating their original compositions in the Spring. Once their piece is complete, they must write the notes on the piece. For younger students, this is done at their lesson with the help of their teacher. Older students are encouraged to write out the notes at home and show their progress at lessons.
Students can use the following notation software:
- Notion – Ipad App
- Muse Score
- Finale Notepad
Once the piece is notated, students begin working on their Artist Statement. This is just a few words describing how the piece relates to the theme. After this, all that is left is for students to turn in the completed form, score, and a recording of their work. The recording is done at the student’s lesson.
- 2017-2018 Theme: “Within Reach”
- 2016-2017 Theme: “What Is Your Story?”
- 2015-16 Theme: “Let Your Imagination Fly”
- 2014-1015 Theme: “The world would be a better place if…”
- 2013-2014 Theme: “Believe, Dream, Inspire”
- 2012-2013 Theme: “The Magic of a Moment… “
- 2011-2012 Theme: “Diversity means… “
- 2010-2011 Theme: “Together We Can”
- 2009-2010 Theme: “In Celebration: A Past to Remember, Beauty Is…”
- 2008-2009 Theme: “Wow!”
- 2007-2008 Theme: “I Can Make a Difference by…”
- 2006-2007 Theme: “My Favorite Place”
- 2005-2006 Theme: “I Wonder Why…”
Students are encouraged to get the entry form from their school because it will have all the necessary information filled out.
- Audio Recording
- Max Length – 5 minutes
- Audio must be in mp3 or mp4 format.
- Two seconds of silence before performance.
- Score Notation
- A notated score is required for Middle and High School divisions.
- Must be on 8.5 x 11 paper
- No mounted or bound scores.
- Submission Packet should include
- Audio CD
- Completed Entry Form